Last Updated: March 15, 2017
This Policy describes the information that we gather from you on the Service, how we use and disclose such information, and the steps we take to protect such information. By using the Service, you consent to the privacy practices described in this Policy.
This Policy is incorporated into and is subject to the Events.com Terms of Service. Capitalized terms used but not defined in this Policy have the meaning given to them in the Events.com Terms of Service.
What information do we collect on the Service?
- User-provided Personal Information. When you use the Service, you may provide and we may collect what is often called personally identifiable information which is information that specifically identifies an individual. For the purposes of this Policy, we refer to such information as “Personal Information.” Examples of Personal Information include an individual’s name, email address, mailing address, mobile phone number, and credit card or other billing information. Personal Information may also include other information, such as an individual’s date of birth, geographic area, or preferences, when that information is linked together with Personal Information that identifies a specific individual. You may provide us with Personal Information in various ways on the Service. For example, you provide us with Personal Information when you register for an account, use the Service, make a purchase on the Service, or send us customer service-related requests.
- Cookies and Automatically Collected Information. When you use the Service, we may send one or more cookies – small text files containing a string of alphanumeric characters – to your device. We may use both session cookies and persistent cookies. A session cookie disappears after you close your browser. A persistent cookie remains after you close your browser and may be used by your browser on subsequent visits to the Service. Please review your web browser “Help” file to learn the proper way to modify your cookie settings. Please note that if you delete, or choose not to accept, cookies from the Service, you may not be able to use the Service to its fullest potential.
We may also automatically record certain information from your device by using various types of technology, including “clear gifs” or “web beacons.” This automatically collected information may include your IP address or other device address or ID, web browser and/or device type, the web pages or sites that you visit just before or just after you use the Service, the pages or other content you view or otherwise interact with on the Service, and the dates and times that you visit, access, or use the Service. We also may use these technologies to collect information regarding your interaction with email messages, such as whether you opened, clicked on, or forwarded a message. This information is gathered from all users, and may be connected with your Personal Information.
- Location Information. We may obtain information about your physical location, such as by use of GPS and other geolocation features in your device, or by inference from other information we collect (for example, your IP address indicates the general geographic region from which you are connecting to the Internet).
- Information from Other Sources. We may obtain information, including Personal Information, from third parties and sources other than the Service, such as our customers, partners and advertisers. If we combine or associate information from other sources with Personal Information that we collect through the Service, we will treat the combined information as Personal Information in accordance with this Policy.
How do we use the information we collect?
We use information we collect on the Service in a variety of ways in providing the Service and operating our business, including the following:
- We use the information that we collect on the Service to operate, maintain, enhance and provide all features of the Service, to provide services and information that you request, to respond to comments and questions and otherwise to provide support to users, and to process and deliver entries and rewards in connection with promotions that may be offered from time to time on the Service.
- We use the information that we collect on the Service to understand and analyze the usage trends and preferences of our users, to improve the Service, and to develop new products, services, features, and functionality.
- We may use your email address or other information we collect to contact you for administrative purposes such as customer service or to send communications regarding the site.
When do we disclose information?
Except as described in this Policy, we will not disclose your information that we collect on the Service to third parties without your consent. We may be required to disclose personal information in response to a lawful request by public authorities, including to meet national security or law enforcement requirements. We may disclose information to third parties if you consent to us doing so, as well as in the following circumstances:
- Any information that you voluntarily choose to include in a publicly accessible area of the Service will be available to anyone who has access to that content, including other users.
- Certain endurance race managers will release, and publish on-line, pre-race rosters which may include all or part of the following information: your first and last name, gender and age or age group in which you have registered to participate. These pre-race rosters will be accessible by the public.
- We work with third party service providers to provide website, application development, hosting, maintenance, and personal information data management services, and other services for us. These third parties may have access to or process your information as part of providing those services for us. Generally, we limit the information provided to these service providers to that which is reasonably necessary for them to perform their functions, and we require them to agree to maintain the confidentiality of such information.
- We may disclose your information if required to do so by law or in the good-faith belief that such action is necessary to comply with state and federal laws, in response to a court order, judicial or other government subpoena or warrant, or to otherwise cooperate with law enforcement or other governmental agencies.
- We also reserve the right to disclose your information that we believe, in good faith, is appropriate or necessary to (i) take precautions against liability, (ii) protect ourselves or others from fraudulent, abusive, or unlawful uses or activity, (iii) investigate and defend ourselves against any third-party claims or allegations, (iv) protect the security or integrity of the Service and any facilities or equipment used to make the Service available, or (v) protect our property or other legal rights (including, but not limited to, enforcement of our agreements), or the rights, property, or safety of others.
- Information about our users, including Personal Information, may be disclosed and otherwise transferred to an acquirer, successor, or assignee as part of any merger, acquisition, debt financing, sale of assets, or similar transaction, or in the event of an insolvency, bankruptcy, or receivership in which information is transferred to one or more third parties as one of our business assets.
- We may make certain aggregated, automatically-collected, or otherwise non-Personal Information available to third parties for various purposes, including (i) compliance with various reporting obligations; (ii) for business or marketing purposes; or (iii) to assist such parties in understanding our users’ interests, habits, and usage patterns for certain programs, content, services, advertisements, promotions, and/or functionality available through the Service.
What are your choices?
You may, of course, decline to share certain Personal Information with us, in which case we may not be able to provide to you some of the features and functionality of the Service. We acknowledge the individual’s right to access their personal data. If you wish to access or amend any other Personal Information we hold about you, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note that while any changes you make will be reflected in active user databases within a reasonable period of time, we may retain all information you submit for backups, archiving, prevention of fraud and abuse, analytics, satisfaction of legal obligations, or where we otherwise reasonably believe that we have a legitimate reason to do so.
If you receive commercial email from us, you may unsubscribe at any time by following the instructions contained within the email. You may also opt out from receiving commercial email from us by sending your request to us by email at email@example.com or by writing to us at the address given at the end of this policy. International Users, in compliance with their local laws may be required to expressly consent and/or opt-in prior to receiving commercial email or other forms of electronic communication from us. Please be aware that if you opt out of receiving commercial email from us or otherwise modify the nature or frequency of promotional communications you receive from us, it may take up to ten business days for us to process your request, and you may continue receiving promotional communications from us during that period. Additionally, even after you opt out from receiving commercial messages from us, you will continue to receive administrative messages from us regarding the Service.
Your device operating system or browser may include settings, options, or add-on components to control the placement and presence of cookies and access to location information.
We use Google Analytics to collect and process certain analytics data; Google provides some additional privacy options described at www.google.com/policies/privacy/partners/.
We may use Third-Party Services.
The Service may contain features or links to websites and services provided by third parties. Any information you provide on third-party sites or services is provided directly to the operators of such services and is subject to those operators’ policies, if any, governing privacy and security, even if accessed through the Service. We are not responsible for the content or privacy and security practices and policies of third-party sites or services to which links or access are provided through the Service. We encourage you to learn about third parties’ privacy and security policies before providing them with information.
What is our policy regarding children?
Protecting the privacy of young children is especially important. Our Site is a general audience site not directed to children under the age of 13, and we do not knowingly collect Personal Information from children under the age of 13 without obtaining parental consent. If you are under 13 years of age, then please do not use or access the Service at any time or in any manner. If we learn that Personal Information has been collected on the Service from persons under 13 years of age and without verifiable parental consent, then we will take the appropriate steps to delete this information. If you are a parent or guardian and discover that your child under 13 years of age has obtained an account on the Service, then you may alert us at firstname.lastname@example.org and request that we delete that child’s Personal Information from our systems.
What is our Data Security Policy?
We use certain physical, managerial, and technical safeguards that are designed to improve the integrity and security of Personal Information that we collect and maintain. Please be aware that no security measures are perfect or impenetrable. We cannot and do not guarantee that your information will not be accessed, viewed, disclosed, altered, or destroyed by breach of any of our physical, technical, or managerial safeguards. If we learn of a security breach, then we may attempt to notify you electronically so that you can take appropriate protective steps. We may post a notice through the Service if a security breach occurs.
Are you an International Visitor?
The Service is hosted in the United States. If you choose to use the Service from Canada, the European Union or other regions of the world with laws governing data collection and use that may differ from U.S. law, then please note that you are transferring your Personal Information outside of those regions to the United States for storage and processing. Also, we may transfer your data from the U.S. to other countries or regions in connection with storage and processing of data, fulfilling your requests, and operating the Service. By providing any information, including Personal Information, on or to the Service, you consent to such transfer, storage, and processing.
If you are an international user, and you have appropriately indicated to us that you are an international user (i.e. using the Services from outside of the United States), then you may not receive commercial email from us, unless you expressly opt in and consent to receive such commercial email, or other electronic communications, in compliance with your local laws, such as the Canada’s Anti-Spam Legislation.
U.S.–E.U. Privacy Shield Program and U.S.–Swiss Safe Harbor Framework
Our self-certification means that we promise that:
- Notice. When we collect your personal information, we’ll give you timely and appropriate notice describing what personal information we’re collecting, how we’ll use it, and the types of third parties with whom we may share it.
- Choice. We’ll give you choices about the ways we use and share your personal information, and we’ll respect the choices you make.
- Relevance. We’ll collect only as much personal information as we need for specific, identified purposes, and we won’t use it for other purposes without obtaining your consent.
- Retention. We’ll keep your personal information only as long as we need it for the purposes for which we collect it, or as permitted by law.
- Accuracy. We’ll take appropriate steps to make sure the personal information in our records is accurate.
- Security. We’ll take appropriate physical, technical, and organizational measures to protect your personal information from loss, misuse, unauthorized access or disclosure, alteration and destruction.
- Sharing. Except as described in this policy, we won’t share your personal information with third parties without your consent.
- International Transfer. If we transfer your personal information to another country, we’ll take appropriate measures to protect your privacy and the personal information we transfer. We are potentially liable for the appropriate onward transfer of EU individual’s personal data to third parties.
- Enforcement. We’ll regularly review how we’re meeting these privacy promises, and we’ll provide an independent way to resolve complaints about our privacy practices.
We may change and update this Policy.
Please revisit this page periodically to stay aware of any changes to this Policy, which we may update from time to time. If we modify this Policy, we will make it available through the Service, and indicate the date of the latest revision. In the event that the modifications materially alter your rights or obligations hereunder, we will make reasonable efforts to notify you of the change. For example, we may send a message to your email address, if we have one on file, or generate a pop-up or similar notification when you access the Service for the first time after such material changes are made. Your continued use of the Service after the revised Policy has become effective indicates that you have read, understood and agreed to the current version of this Policy.
Are you a California Resident?
Residents of California have the right to request a disclosure describing what types of personal information we have shared with third parties for their direct marketing purposes, and with whom we have shared it, during the preceding calendar year. You may request a copy of that disclosure by contacting us at email@example.com.
We respond to your questions, concerns and complaints about privacy
Events.com will investigate all complaints and will take all reasonable steps to resolve privacy-related issues. Please contact us with any questions or comments about this Policy, your Personal Information, our use and disclosure practices, or your consent choices by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Attention: Privacy Compliance / Corporate Counsel
12255 El Camino Real Suite 210
San Diego, CA 92130
European Union and Swiss Dispute Resolution
Events.com has further committed to refer unresolved privacy complaints under the EU-US Privacy Shield Principles to BBB EU PRIVACY SHIELD, a non-profit alternative dispute resolution provider located in the United States and operated by the Council of Better Business Bureaus. If you do not receive timely acknowledgment of your complaint, or if your complaint is not satisfactorily addressed, please visit http://www.bbb.org/EU-privacy-shield/for-eu-consumers/ for more information and to file a complaint.
Please note that if your complaint cannot be resolved through these channels, under certain limited conditions for individuals, binding arbitration option may be available before the Privacy Shield Panel.
Events.com has further committed to refer unresolved privacy complaints under the US-Swiss Safe Harbor to an independent dispute resolution mechanism operated by the Council of Better Business Bureaus. If you do not receive timely acknowledgment of your complaint, or if your complaint is not satisfactorily addressed, please visit www.bbb.org/us/safe-harbor-complaints for more information and to file a complaint.