Come Thanksgiving Day, most of us will be just as stuffed as the turkey, thanks to the average Thanksgiving meal (plus snacks) falling between 2,500 and 4,500 calories! So shake your tail feathers at one of these five Turkey Trots or at a race near you, and enjoy that second slice of pie without the side of guilt.
- ThunderCloud Subs Turkey Trot, Austin, TX Celebrating 25 years of trotting, this five-mile run is the largest in Texas, and one of the largest Turkey Trots in the nation with more than 20,000 participants from 49 states. All proceeds go to Caritas, which provides education and support services to those working to become self-sufficient.
- Honolulu Marathon Clinic Turkey Trot Honolulu, Hawaii With this trot, the fastest time doesn’t equal victory. Before the race runners write their names and estimated finish time on tongue depressors and those finishing closest to their predictions are the winners.
- Manchester Road Race, Manchester, CT With over 15,000 participants, this race is one of New England’s most famous road races and the largest race in Connecticut. In 2012, Runner’s World Editor at Large Amby Burfoot ran for his 50th consecutive time.
- Plymouth Rock N’ Run Plymouth, MA Run where Thanksgiving began! The trot collects food donations to support the Greater Plymouth Food Warehouse.
- Fast Before the Feast, White Bear Lake, MN With this race the only record that matters is the 10,000-pound food donation to the White Bear Area Emergency Food Shelf and the Hugo Good Neighbors Food Shelf.
Photo Credit: ThunderCloud Subs Turkey Trot
Ready to organize a themed 5K other running event? Start planning your next running event on Events.com.